Re: adduser: what is the difference between --disabled-password and--disabled-login

On Mon, 09 May 2005 15:34:06 +0300, Shaul Karl <shaulk@013.net> wrote:
>adduser(8) states that
>
>    With the --disabled-login option, the account will be created but
>    will be disabled until a password is set. The --disabled-password
>    option will not set a password, but login are still possible for
>    example through SSH RSA keys.
>
>I wonder what is the difference?

One disables the account, the other sets an invalid password. I think
that the manpage is quite clear about that.

>    if ($ask_passwd) {
>    &amp;systemcall('/usr/bin/passwd', $new_name);
>    } else {
>    if(!$disabled_login) {
>        &amp;systemcall('/usr/sbin/usermod', '-p', '*', $new_name);
>    }
>    }
>
>Perhaps what I really should have asked is about the contents of
>/etc/{passwd,shadow}'s password field for disabled accounts.

One is "*", the other is "!". I never know which is which.

Why didn't you ask the adduser maintainers?

Greetings
Marc