Re: Release update: editorial changes to the testing propagation scripts

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 03:05:24PM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 02:42:15PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > Can you tell about the possible risks that may affect your release plan
> > and what you have done to ensure that they will not delay your release
> > plan?
>
> Can you tell me about the usefulness of whining[1] about release policy
> for years, and how this will not delay the release?

Debian DPL candidates often talk during their election campaigns about a
lack of communication in Debian.

But when asking for some background of an announcement that's considered
evil?

> --Jeroen
>
> [1] I don't use this word lightly in mail, but to be honest, your
>     continued vendetta against the current release policy is quite
> 	annoying. Especially seen in the light of your resignation as Debian
> 	Developer, by which you abstained from any committment to help
> 	Debian constructively from the inside, this is not really a fair
> 	thing to do. As we say in the Netherlands, "De beste stuurlui staan
> 	aan wal", "The best boatsmen are standing on shore": it's easy to
> 	complain while not bearing any responsibility, rather than actually
> 	doing the job

You are confusing cause and effect.

Please look at the reasons why I resigned. I stated before my
resignation, that my personal motivation went down to zero because more
than one year after the start of the woody freeze, we were still far
away from a freeze although I did my best in helping getting nearer to a
release, there was zero visible progress [1]. This is the reason why I
resigned some time later [2].

At the time when I was a Debian maintainer (maintaining 42 packages and
being an active member of the QA team), there were exactly zero
possibilities for an average maintainer like me to influence anything
from the inside except for the more theoretical influences of starting a
GR or participating in votes (which gives me at about as much influence
as I have on politics in real life). If this has changed, and Debian
maintainers now have more influence I'd be glad to rejoin and help
Debian from the inside.

You might disagree with this, but the whole sarge release cycle until
now was not able to show me that the current release process was working
(and even worth dropping two thirds of the Debian architectures, because
as your release team announced the testing release process can't cope
with a dozen architectures).

cu
Adrian

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/01/msg00961.html