Re: Urgently need GPL compatible libsnmp5-dev replacement :-(

Hello

On 2005-05-03 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 04 May 2005, Christian Hammers wrote:
> > One of my packages, Quagga, is licenced under the GPL but is supposed to
> > get linked against NetSNMP. That now is problematic, as NetSNMP depends
> > on OpenSSL (for SNMPv3 crypto support?) which is not GPL compatible.
>
> A simple extension to Quagga's (*and* NetSNMP if it is GPLed) license
> allowing for linking to OpenSSL is probably the easiest way to fix this (and
> since that is a documentation change, it would get into sarge).

The extension itself would be easy, more problematic is that it would have
to be signed by all significant contributers to the Quagga source
code and those are many. Not to mention that Quagga was a "frustrated"
fork from Zebra which is no longer part of Debian so there may be problems
when begging for a licence change...

> > Or would it be possible to fork NetSNMP into a libsnmp5-gpl-dev package?
>
> That would be etch-land.  The most sane way to fix this would be to get
> NetSNMP to be able to link to the GNU version of OpenSSL (I don't recall how
> it is called).

I could package the whole libsnmp source code into the Quagga file, and
simply compile it with --without-openssl and then link it statically
or something similar brute force and ugly.

Replacing OpenSSL by GnuTLS is indeed something for etch if the upstream
maintainer from NetSNMP does have ambitions doing this at all as NetSNMP
is BSD licenced and has no need to do so.

bye,

-christian-