Re: A way _not_ to handle bugs

Richard Atterer <richard@2005.atterer.net> writes:

> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 08:30:22AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>> Looking at the bug log, it seems that you had no business increasing
>> the severity in the first place.  You didn't report the bug, you
> [...]
>
> So now just people who are affected by bugs are allowed to report them?
> And it's also forbidden to go through the list of open bugs and attempt to
> alert developers of important issues by raising the severity (if
> necessary)?

"It seems".  He didn't give any explanation for the increase in
severity, which is why one can only guess at the motives.  That's what
was missing.  The explanation has now been given, though the severity
was incorrectly increased (it should only be "serious" according to
the description).

> While I have no opinion regarding the bug being discussed here, I believe
> that those few people who take the time to go through open bugs often do
> very valuable work, e.g. by identifying "upgrade bugs" which are waiting to
> happen the moment we release.

Oh, I agree completely!  My point is that, having checked the bug and
improved its severity does not entitle one to start playing BTS-tag.

Thomas