Re: Ubuntu and its "appropriation" of Debian maintainers

Matthew Palmer wrote:

>I understood the proposal to be only for unchanged Debian source packages
>(ie pure rebuild).  If an Ubuntuite is actively maintaining the package for
>Ubuntu, it stands to reason that they be listed as the Maintainer for the
>Ubuntu source package, with appropriate credit given in the debian/copyright
>(oooh that looks *wrong*) to the Debian maintainer(s).

IMHO, no credit is required. If Ubuntu just observes copyright by not
removing any copyright notices of the DDs and third parties then that
should be enough. Whenever I want recognition, I just stick a copyright
notice.

Keep in mind that whenever you contribute something back to upstream,
you generally get little recognition for it (at least in my experience).
The code just becomes part of the new upstream version. I'm not too
sensitive about the "recognition" part anyway - I just want the software
to work the way I want it and that's good enough for me.

- Adam