Re: Alternative: Source-Centric Approach [w/code]

> > I'm wondering, what happens if you want to install MOST of the deps
> > from source? Wouldn't it be better to have apt-build (using the
> > "official apt algorithms") ask on a dep-by-dep basis whether you
> > want it compiled from source or installed from a binary?
> Which is basically what sourcerer acomplishes in a nice, transparent,
> round up fashion (upload pending some spare time).

What if I use dselect, aptitude, or any number of other similar packages as my package manager?  Can I select packages to be installed or upgraded?

I recognise that I may need to use your package to select packages that should be built from source as opposed to installed from binary packages, but can they be still be upgraded (via source) though my regular package manager?

My usual pattern is to update and select using dselect, download using a cron job with "apt-get -d dselect-upgrade", followed by installing the following day with "apt-get dselect-upgrade"...  What part of that process would need to change to support your package?

Fredderic

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com