Re: Minimizing ld dependencies with --as-needed

Hi Tollef,

Sorry for the high response latency.

* Tollef Fog Heen wrote on Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 09:45:03PM CEST:
> * Ralf Wildenhues
>
> | I would be much happier if someone with time would just help to put
> | this into libtool properly as an option (and possible adjust pkg-config,
> | FWIW).  I'm pretty sure it would minimize the combined amount of work,
> | with increased benefit.
>
> pkg-config has the necessary patches now, but the support is disabled
> by default in Debian.  It'll be enabled post-sarge.

I think that is not enough.  Unless libtool supports this properly, you
will end up having weird, seemingly unrelated bug reports with things
that broke by this change.  It won't work at all unless Debian Libtool
keeps its "link_all_deplibs=no" patch, which is unfortunate.  I would
like to see less variations in Distributions' libtool packages.  Even
with the patch I think you are not safe.  At the very least, user
compiling their own software might encounter needless trouble.

We started some discussions on this issue[1], but no final conclusion
nor patch has been proposed.  It would be much nicer to solve the
problem cleanly in libtool.

To put it another way: Please don't blame libtool for failures caused by
using --as-needed behind its back.

Regards,
Ralf

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2004-11/msg00455.html