Re: lintian & linda

Hi Bernd,

* [ 10-04-05 - 23:33 ] Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@lina.inka.de> wrote:
>  There are a lot differences between linda and lintian, especially the
>  programming language.

We would like to know which are these differences. :)
Nico's original question was "why are there linda and lintian?".

Do they provide different *features*?

>  Which is if course a big point if you consider
>  programmers can only help in one but not the other.

You're right here.

>  > Whenever someone submits an ITP for the software A, whose functionality
>  > is already provided in Debian by B, the standard question is "Why is A
>  > better than B? From your long description it is not clear which are the
>  > aspect that make them different."
>
>  This standard question is annoying and unneeded. There is no point in
>  deciding for one or the other package. And this is a quite new trend that
>  debian community start to think they have the right to pick.

I actually think that this question is not so unneeded. The ITP could
simply miss to mention the important features, and asking such a
question can lead to an improved long description.

Potential problems with packages which provide *exactly the same
functionalities* are: duplication of efforts on the developers' side,
user confusion, waste of archive space...

ciao,
	ema