Re: Automatic testing of Debian packages

Hello

When it comes to testing you have to ask yourself what you want
to test.

We have a couple of different types of tests:

* Component test:
  Tests if a program component (object, function etc) is working as
  specified. Normally this kind of tests are implemented in the same
  programming language as the function itself to test each function
  and combinations of them. This is very function specific and must
  be implemented per project.
* Function testing
  Tests if a program work as specified. This is also program specific.

There are more but theese two are the biggest parts.

Both of these tasks are project specific and should be managed per
packge (or similar). It can of course be automated using a test suite
but each test case have to be implemented per package (or per program
in the package).

There are however some general things that could be tested. Some
of them are tested already using linda/lintian but more could be
done.

Upgrade of packages have been mentioned, install, uninstall and
purge is another thing. These are common things and you can see
it as a function test of a deb package. A test that check if the
package conform to the deb specification.

So you have to state what you want tested. Different types of tests
require different types of framework etc.

Regards,

// Ola