Re: Detecting the installed MTA

On 20050407T172533+0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> (Don't use grep-status or grep-available in package scripts.)

Since I've been asked, here's some more about that from
/usr/share/doc/grep-dctrl/Compatibility :

8<--
If you use grep-dctrl in a Debian package, you should depend on the
grep-dctrl package and heed the following compatibility notes:

   * Always call only the "grep-dctrl" executable.
        Although the "grep-status" and "grep-available" symlinks
        are installed by default, this may change in the future.
        Those symlinks are meant for manual - not scripted - use.

   * Always specify an explicit file name
        Don't rely on the implicit file name feature.  The system
        administrator may have changed the default file name.

   * Not all features have been with us in every version
        Check if any of the features you use is mentioned in the
        changelog.  Use a versioned dependency on grep-dctrl, if it
        is necessary.
8<--

The same information used to be included in the manual page, but it
seems to have been dropped.  I just uploaded 2.1.10 which reinserts the
warning.
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Debian developer

http://kaijanaho.info/antti-juhani/blog/en/debian