Re: Warning: Some CVS repos are broken (was Re: gluck available again / filesystem shaked)

Hi, Thanks all for the work.  This info may help you to fix CVS issues.

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:47:17PM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:06:23PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
>
> [ ... lots of stuff ... ]
>
> Thanks Joey for your dedication, it has become somewhat of a tradition that
> some Debian server breaks before the release (does it mean we are releasing
> this weekend?)  :-)
>
> > The following CVS repositories are currently hosted on gluck:
> >
> > /cvs/webwml                   restored from backup
> (...)
> > /cvs/debian-doc               restored from backup
>
> Unfortunately, it seems that at least that CVS repository is not properly
> restored from backup. There seem to be some files which are raw data and
> not proper RCS files so you get something like:
>
> cvs [update aborted]: EOF in value in RCS file
> /home/org/cvs.debian.org/cvs/webwml/webwml/english/debian.css,v
>
> when trying to do CVS operations :-(
>
> Maybe it's worth reviewing the output of running the following command:
>
> # find . -type f -exec file {} \; |grep ": data" |  \
> egrep -v '\.(gz|gif|jpg|png|jpeg|pdf|tgz)'
>
> in the CVS repos.
>
> Joey, where are the backups of the CVS repos currently?

Here is info on situation of DDP CVS:
$ cvs up
| cvs server: Updating .
| cvs server: Updating articles
| cvs server: Updating articles/counting-potatoes
| cvs server: Updating articles/debian-international
| cvs server: Updating articles/debian-presentation
| cvs server: Updating articles/package-interfaces
| cvs server: Updating manuals.sgml
| cvs server: Updating manuals.sgml/apt-howto
| P manuals.sgml/apt-howto/ChangeLog
| P manuals.sgml/apt-howto/Makefile
| P manuals.sgml/apt-howto/apt-howto.de.sgml
| P manuals.sgml/apt-howto/apt-howto.el.sgml
| P manuals.sgml/apt-howto/apt-howto.en.sgml
| cvs update: checksum failure after patch to manuals.sgml/apt-howto/apt-howto.en.sgml; will refetch
| P manuals.sgml/apt-howto/apt-howto.es.sgml
| cvs update: checksum failure after patch to manuals.sgml/apt-howto/apt-howto.es.sgml; will refetch
| P manuals.sgml/apt-howto/apt-howto.it.sgml
| cvs [server aborted]: unexpected '\xffffffab' reading revision number in RCS file /cvs/debian-doc/ddp/manuals.sgml/apt-howto/apt-howto.ja.sgml,v
| cvs client: refetching unpatchable files
| U manuals.sgml/apt-howto/apt-howto.en.sgml
| U manuals.sgml/apt-howto/apt-howto.es.sgml

It seems there is problem with RCS file of
/cvs/debian-doc/ddp/manuals.sgml/apt-howto/apt-howto.ja.sgml

Please note this original file apt-howto.ja.sgml uses ja_JP.eucJP
encoding.  Editing file under UTF-8 locale editor will destroy file
contents.  You need to use dumb 8 bit clean editor like mcedit (from mc)
preferably under C locale.

Osamu