Re: debconf and locale specific characters

Hi Alban,

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 05:15:34AM +0200, Alban Browaeys wrote:
> > It is save to assume that the data from debconf is in the charset of the
> > current locale? Then foo=`echo $RET|iconv -t UTF8` after the db_get
> > would suffice. Of course the locale could change between config and
> > postinst so maybe I should convert to UTF-8 and store the result in the
> > debconf db in the config script?
>

> from slapd debian script source it is told that utf8 would broke the ldi
> output (talking about root dn , though i guess it is just that openldap

That's right, currently UTF8 is not supported. To support it we'll have
to convert the input into UTF8 and base64-encode it and use the binary
syntax for the entry. Which is fully supported by OpenLDAP.

> does not support utf8 out of the box right now).

It does.

> Though i am pretty confident that slapd/lbdm or bdb support utf8 i would
> not swear that the ldiff scripts does ...

It's just some other binary data to throw into the database. Why would
it cause any problems?

Greetings

	Torsten