"application" installation (was: Fwd: apt-get dist-upgrade will remove metapackages)

[since my comments are post-sarge, I dropped -release]

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 04:33, Adeodato Simó wrote:
>   Anyway, that would be a solution local to the KDE metapackages (though
>   I believe other sets of metapackages are doing it like that), but it's
>   certainly suboptimal.
>
>   I've wanted for some time now to bring this issue to discussion,
>   namely, if some improvments at package-management tools level could be
>   done in order to make (big) metapackages less troublesome. I'm taking
>   chance now and doing so. (CC'ing -devel, please drop -release if not
>   relevant there.)

What I wanted to see for a long time is a mechanism between individual
packages and the very broad tasks to select "applications". Current
meta-packages are only a part of what would be possible:

> KDE
> +- Core
> -- Devel
>   +- KDE SDK
>   +- QT Designer
> +- ...
> Webserver
> -- Apache 1.3
>   +- Standard
>   +- SSL
>   +- Perl
> +- Apache 2
> +- Caudium
> +- ...
> X Window System
> +- Core
> +- Window Manager
> +- KDE
> +- Gnome
> +- ...

Where each node in the tree acts as appropriate "meta-package". Add some icons
and a nice tree-widget and perhaps debtags as a first approximation of
categories and I believe this could become a quite powerful package selection
tool.

Regards, David
--
- hallo... wie gehts heute?