Re: Right of a maintainer not to respect FHS

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 03:13:36PM -0400, David Mandelberg wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 11:53 +0200, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> > For invidual files
> > this is too much work though - it could work for directories.
> Why would it be hard with individual files? Just use a shell fragment
> like:

> FILES="foo bar baz"
> for i in $FILES
> do
>  mv "$DESTDIR/usr/lib/$i" "$DESTDIR/usr/share/$i"
>  ln -s "/usr/share/$i" "$DESTDIR/usr/lib/$i"
> done

Moving the files doesn't actually satisfy the FHS requirement, which says
that the canonical FHS paths are the ones that must be used *by the
software* when referring to these files.  If you have to symlink the files
back to the non-FHS locations for compatibility with the package itself, I
don't really see the point.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer