Re: init.d script dependencies for etch?

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:50:20 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> I think we need to establish a header format policy, and I suggest
> something similar to debian/control, e.g.
>
>   #!/bin/sh -e
>   # init.d script for sshd
>   #
>   #% Depends: network, iptables
>   #
>
>   if "$1" ...

This has been standardized by LSB:

http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_3.0.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/initscrcomconv.html

This is not to say that I like the idea of magic comment headers.

> I would prefer this over e.g. starting all init.d scripts at once
> and letting each call its dependencies. This would be very hard to
> implement efficiently.

I missed the beginning of this conversation.  I hope it has been said that
the first thing we should do is investigate the several dependency-base
init systems that are already out there.  (There are earlier threads about
this.)

--
Thomas Hood