Re: what is /.udev for ?

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 10:54 +0100, GOMBAS Gabor wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 01:04:34AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>
> > > I do believe that the right thing is to be disabled by default.
> > No.
>
> Well, I've just checked and
>
> mount --move /dev /temp-mount-point
> mount --bind /dev /where-you-want-it
> mount --move /temp-mount-point /dev
>
> works on a live system (modulo bug #282205), so you can leave it
> disabled by default and provide a little helper script to turn it on on
> request. Of course this is a bad idea as long as 2.4 kernels are
> officially supported, so in sarge the default should be "on", and after
> sarge the default can be switched to "off".

Or do a boot-time check to see which kernel is running?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"[Hitler] has grasped the falsity of the hedonistic attitude to
life. Nearly all western thought since the last war, certainly
all 'progressive' thought, has assumed tacitly that human beings
desire nothing beyond ease, security and avoidance of pain."
George Orwell, 1940, reviewing /Mein Kampf/