Re: Debian mirror scripts

    Goswin> zsync uses the algorithm described in the rsync technical paper
    Goswin> afaik. Does rsync have a patent issue? Do we realy care about some
    Goswin> stupid countries patents?

My understanding is that rsync doesn't have problems, but rproxy
(which is also based on rsync) does have problems because it does the
calculations at the client side instead of the server side.

Rusty Russell had a webpage up describing the history of the problems
encountered with rproxy, but all I can find right now is an empty
page: <URL:http://ozlabs.org/~rusty/index.cgi/rproxy.html> (linked
from: <URL:http://ozlabs.org/~rusty/index.cgi/IP/2004-10-14.html>).
IIRC the patent owner wasn't interested in this application of the
patent but was threatening to enforce it regardless.

However, based on Robert's response it would appear that patent issues
have been considered for zsync and considered OK. I would speculate
this is because information is pre-calculated at the server and stored
in *.zsync files.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>