Re: what is /.udev for ?

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 06:30:41PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Feb 10, "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@fieldses.org> wrote:
>
> > In something like df I think the sensible thing to do is just to
> > continue to list all bind mounts, even when it's redundant.
> The sensible thing to do is to check major/minor and report file systems
> only once.

The default df format doesn't list filesystems by major/minor, it lists
them by mountpoint.  This makes sense, because most people don't know
the major/minor numbers of their filesystems off the top of their head
(I don't) but do know the mountpoints.  So you have a choice of:

	1. As currently, list each mountpoint on a separate line.
	2. List each filesystem only once, under one (arbitrarily
	   chosen) path which it is mounted on.
	3. List each filesystem only once, with a list of mountpoints.

Number 2 seems wrong.  Number 3 makes sense to me for a graphical tool,
where you can probably make space for a list of names on each filesystem
if you lay out the display correctly.  But number 3 seems a little
cumbersome for something like df.

--b.