Re: Who could be able to help SW vendors to support Debian?

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 10:57:08PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:

> Well, I'm not the software vendor here..:-)
>
> As far as I've inderstood, this product induces some interaction at
> kernel-level and the vendor developers may have concerns about the
> kernel on the distribution they want to support their product on. They
> probably also have concerns about the library compatibility and such
> stuff.

  Perhaps rather than having a requirement for a specific kernel
 they could use something like that Yin-Yang, or dazuko kernel modules
 which can provide an interface for on-access operations?

  That way they have a greater chance of working with arbitary
 distributions.  (The latter is packaged for Debian).

  Beyond that I think the other poster was right, really there
 should be more focus on linking statically, packing in an open
 format such as .tar.gz not .rpm and miminal links to the kernel
 or OS.

  Obviously some software such as VmWare or the Nvidia drivers
 need tight integration, but providing open source shims can
 minimize the variation between different host kernels.

  (It might be worth discussing platform compatability - too many
 closed code assumes only x86.  Using Debian in that context is
 an interesting way of making the point that there are more chips
 in the world than x86 and ppc.)

Steve
--
# The Debian Security Audit Project.