Re: Who could be able to help SW vendors to support Debian?

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 07:37:27PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Would any people around have pointers which could be given to such
> people?? Do we already have an entry point for such technical issues
> as proprietary SW vendors needing technical information about the way
> to support Debian??

The first thing I would do is to try to convince the vendor not to get
so hung up on supporting different distributions.  If their product
depends tightly on kernel stuff, then they should base their support
matrix on kernel version, not on distribution.

Point them at Platform Computing as an example of how to do it with LSF.
They support Linux, and they don't give a stuff what distribution you're
running.  They support certain kernels, and certain C libraries, and
other than that they don't care.  And they're not too precise about
kernel version - on X86 you can run any 2.4 or 2.6 kernel, and any 2.1,
2.2 or 2.3 glibc.  They're a little pickier on other architectures (they
don't support 2.6 on either Alpha or Itanium yet).

Tim