Re: NPTL support in 2.4 kernel series?

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 11:05:58PM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 07:51:22PM +0100, Martin Kittel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am maintaining the packages of the MaxDB database system.
> >
> > Recently upstream has converted the database kernel from
> > linuxthread-style threading to NPTL. While -at least for i386-
> > linuxthreads is still supported in MaxDB at this time, it will go away
> > in one of the next releases.
>
> What is the problem with linuxthread?  Are there some problems
> linuxthreads cause that go away when using NPTL?
>
> Anyway, the package currently only supports i386, so I don't see
> a problem with using linuxthread for now.  Please make sure that
> you then atleast prevent it from using NPTL.

*chokes*

I can only assume you have never done serious thread programming on
LinuxThreads, or never used NPTL, or are unfamiliar with POSIX threads.
But, in one extremely short summary: "Too many to count".

As for MaxDB, I can't comment, except to say that programming for the
two is very different, and I doubt the upstream will care to support
LinuxThreads for longer than they have to if it makes any significant use
of threading.
--
Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org>                                       ,''`.
                                                                     : :' :