Re: rudeness in general

On 10-Jan-05, 15:31 (CST), Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> wrote:

> 	Then what about keeping jokes for our private messages to our
> friends ? Your suggestion to go back to classes is, to my standards,
> definetly rude. As it does not add anything to your message, I do not
> understand why you want to take the risk to offend people, if there is
> no payback for it.

Guess what? This is not a paid support forum, or a commercial
organization. This is a *community*. Communities have cultures,
traditions, in-jokes, etc. You can either choose to be part of that
community, and learn to be part of the culture, or you can go join a
different community.

One of the *long* traditions of the hacking community is a low tolerance
for the *willfully* helpless. The only requirement for joining our
community is competence. This doesn't mean you have to know everything,
only that you show the ability to learn and not waste other people's
time repeating information that is widely available elsewhere. This is
sometimes interpeted as rudeness; alternatively, I think it's rude to
expect someone else to read manpages to you.

One of the responses to this has been to set up alternative communities
where friendliness and patience are valued more. Debian-devel is not one
of those alternatives.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland