Re: LCC and blobs

* Raul Miller

| On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:16:25AM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
| > However, if somebody writes a graphviz-client which just pushes the
| > dot file over the network to graphviz.example.com on some port and
| > gets a postscript file back, it can go into main.  No matter what
| > software said server is running.  Correct?
|
| In essence, yes.

Let us take it a little further.

Imagine me having an USB device.  The driver opens a network
connection to firmware.example.com, sends the device identification
string and gets another string.  This one is sent to the USB device
which then does what it's supposed to do.

Would the driver and anything depending on it still be free?  (Let's
assume the driver is GPL-ed or BSD-licensed or whatever makes you
happy.)

| Do you have a problem netcat being in main?

I'm exploring the boundaries, I'm not making any sort of accusations
or «having a problem» with anything.  Not yet, at least. :)

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-