Re: rudeness in changelogs

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 06:44:24PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > Imagining myself as a student in this class: I complete the requested
> > assignment, with luck make an A, only to have the prof post it to the
> > internet and then be insulted by perfect strangers as they use my work
> > to fix their problems.

> These would be the same students who didn't even have the minimum
> decency to attempt to notify the upstream authors before publishing
> the bugs? I think taking a dig at them in the changelog is the *least*
> anyone should do.

Considering the assignment AIUI was "find security holes", not "audit
someone's code", it also looks immature to take potshots at someone who,
unlike the changelog author, was able to find such a security bug without
first having his attention drawn to the section of code in question. <shrug>

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer