Re: Always run dpkg --dry-run -i before running dpkg -i!

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 02:55:55PM +0000, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org>
>
> > As a workaround, the generated modules package could pre-depend on the
> > utils package. That would stop dpkg from unpacking it and leaving a
> > useless installation.
>
> Is the installation really more useless with the modules
> unpackaged-but-not-configured than with the modules not unpacked at
> all? I fail to imagine any situation where that could be the case.

I don't know. That was the impression I got from the OP's rantings.
It seemed that the old package worked without the -utils, but the
new package didn't. So when the new package was unpacked (but
couldn't be configured), it broke the working installation.

Hamish