Re: LCC and blobs

On Jan 07, Josh Triplett <josh.trip@verizon.net> wrote:

> I'll assume for the moment you are only disagreeing with the
> driver->firmware dependencies, not the client->server dependencies,
> since the latter is standard Debian policy.
No. What I'm saying is that if you stretch the definition of
"requirement" enough to cover firmwares then it will cover also things
like ICQ clients.

> On the other hand, if the driver must load the firmware, then the driver
> cannot correctly function if the firmware is not present, so the driver
No, I already explained why this is wrong. The driver functions
correctly and is fully functional with or without the firmware being
loaded in the device. The firmware being loaded or not in a device does
not change the essence of a driver nor its capabilities (actual or
potential).

> >>We all understand what Depends:, Recommends:, and Build-Depends mean; we
> > Not if they refer to things which are not debian packages.
> I'm saying that from the perspective of checking the dependencies of a
> package in main, we should treat anything that is "too non-free for
> non-free" as identical to things packaged in non-free.
Yes, but if the firmware of a device is considered a dependency of a
device driver then an ICQ server has to be considered a dependency of an
ICQ client.

--
ciao,
Marco