Re: partial patches - server application

On 2005-01-06 Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:
[...]
>  deb http://merkel.debian.org/~aba/debian sid main contrib non-free
> (or any other combination of suites and components you like)

> However, there are only the dist files on that place, _no_ downloadable
> pool is available there.

> The partial files are included in a subdirectory called diff in each
> "low-level" directory like unstable/main/source, and have an Index-file
> pointing to the other files, and one or more (at maximum 14) patches.
> Such an Index-File looks like:
[...]

Hello,
This looks extremely promising, thank you.

Is there actually a good[1] reason for keeping the patches both as
plain and gzipped?

I guess we are carrying around Packages _and_ Packages.gz _and_
Packages.bz2 for backwards compatibilty but that does not apply for a
fresh piece of code like the diff-idea.
                  cu andreas
[1] I realize that un-zipped might be a little bit faster for
file-URIs but is this worth it?
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"
                                           http://downhill.aus.cc/