Re: Experimental gaim_1.1.1-2 for Alpha

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 09:27:50AM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 08:55 -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > I have built this package for alpha and it does indeed work. I have
> > bundled it up in a tgz making it easier to D/L. But all the files are
> > there as well for individual inspection. Along with the md5sums

> > http://www.gregfolkert.net/experimental/

> > not an archive by any means, but available at your discretion.

> BTW, someone pointed out I didn't sign the .changes file... ummm oops.

> First real try at building the packages for general consumption. My bad.

Be careful: in general, you should *not* sign changes files for packages
that are not intended to be included in the Debian archive.  Once the
changes file is signed, anyone can upload your package to the Debian archive
whether that was your intent or not.

It's trivial to ensure your changes file will be rejected by katie, by
setting the 'distribution' field in your changelog to an unknown value.  In
this case, your package would also be rejected because it's a sourceful
upload of a package that already has source in the archive; but if this had
not been the case, you might have found yourself blamed for whatever bugs
this build introduced.

In any case, perhaps this particular build should have been a binary-only
upload to experimental, to join the i386 build already there?

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer