Re: origins of the Debian logo

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:31:58AM +0200, Fabian Fagerholm wrote:
> Sorry for the delayed response, but here is a possible answer to the
> second part of the question from a semiotic perspective. Although the
> question was what the swirl /tries/ to symbolize, it may be of some
> interest what it actually might have ended up symbolizing for some
> people. Fasten seatbelts, please.

Some time ago I saw Toy Story for the first time and noticed that Buzz
Lightyear has a symbol similar to the Debian swirl in his jaw. It can be
seen in these pictures:
http://www.bugkid.com/toystory/pictures/011.jpg
http://allearsnet.com/tp/mk/buzz7.jpg

Knowing the close relation between Debian and Toy Story, it seems likely
this was a source of inspiration for the swirl artist.

--
Niklas Vainio <niklas.vainio@iki.fi>