Re: Print Alternative

Em Ter, 2005-01-04 às 22:04 +1100, Craig Small escreveu:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 01:05:18AM -0200, Fernanda Giroleti Weiden wrote:
> > So, here goes my suggestion and a request: what do you think of using
> > the alternatives system for printing?
> We could do. I'm not sure how it would all work together though,
> alternatives work fine with binaries but with daemons it gets tricky.

The alternative would not be for the daemons, but for the 'spooler
clients'.

> > My suggestion to the name of this alternative is "print" which should
> > point to the command used to print (ex.: /usr/bin/lpr)
> Most of the packages conflict with each other and supply lpr and other
> similiar binaries.  You probably need to go and check what the
> configuration thing actually needs.

Having seen the code for the beast, I don't know if it does the Right
Thing. It uses the 'print' alternative to find out what spooling system
is being used. So if /usr/bin/print points to /usr/bin/lpr, the
currently used daemon is lprng, if it points to /usr/bin/lp, it is using
cups (I'm not very familiar with printing systems, though, so I may be
wrong with the names and all that).

It would not be a problem if we could only have one spooling daemon at a
time, but that does not seem to be the case for Debian. I see cupsys
conflicts with newer versions of lprng, but it will allow lpr to be
installed.

How would xprint and kdeprint enter the mix? Are there any other
printing servers and clients on Debian? I know gtklp, but I guess it
uses /usr/bin/lp?

Thanks,

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>