Re: LCC and blobs

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 05:42:07PM +0000, Darren Salt wrote:

> >> So would a web-based firmware loader, that never saved the firmware to
> >> disk allow the drivers to be in main?

I read this as a theoretical case to claim that the "local filesystem" metric
was incorrect (at least in some cases)--since I thought it was obvious that
pushing non-free stuff to a remote server and wgetting it is no different
than moving it into non-free (a "remote server", as far as main is
concerned) and Depend:ing on it--which means contrib, at best.

> > This could be as simple as mounting a tmpfs on /lib/firmware, and wgetting

> I'd say that a local cache is needed, though whether it's used should be up
> to the local admin.

... so I don't know why we're talking about implementation details.  :)

--
Glenn Maynard