Re: How to ensure packages generated from -source are installable?

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 11:33:21AM +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:
> Right.  Do you regard this as a problem?

It would be a lot smarter to check if the install would succeed
before unpacking it.  If you were replacing a previous alsa-modules
package, the old one will be uninstalled and non-functional (please
correct me me if I'm wrong) and you won't have any sound until you get
around to fixing it.  If you were replacing a previous
ndiswrapper-modules, now your network card is hosed and you *can't* use
apt -f to fix the problem unless you connect to the network the other
way.

Transactions should be atomic, consistent, isolated, and durable.  This
fails the "atomic" and "isolated" tests.

Don't sweat it, I can very easily write my own wrapper around dpkg -i
that first dumps the depends and refuses to install if they aren't met.