Re: LCC and blobs

Scripsit Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net>
> Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

>> The obvious thing to do here is not to attempt to find a way that
>> we can interpret the SC that makes sense - the obvious thing to do
>> here is to decide what we want the SC to say and then change it so
>> that it matches that desire.

> We already did that.

The editorial changes to the SC did/will change "depend on" to
"require the use of", but that's as open to interpretation as the old
wording. The problem has just shifted from the meaning of "depend" to
the meaning of "require" and "use" - in either case one can imagine
cases where there are two different but internally consistent and
more-or-less reasonable views on whether the "use" of a non-free
component is "required".

Some people, for example, would probably argue that one does not "use"
firmware when it does not execute on the main CPU, or that a driver
that is able to function if the firmware is already loaded by some
other means does not itself "require" the firmware. I know what I
think about such opinions, but the fact is that they are held by some,
and in at least some cases probably sincerely.

--
Henning Makholm   "Der er ingen der sigter på slottet. D'herrer konger agter
                 at triumfere fra balkonen når de har slået hinanden ihjel."