Re: kernel-package hooks transition

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 05:30:26PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 05:03:17PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Notice that the debconf helper scripts provide stdout on &3, so any
> > scripts writing to stdout only need to redirect their output to &3, no
> > ?
>
> No, that won't work; if you send something to fd 3, it will go to the
> debconf frontend and be interpreted as a debconf protocol command. In

Well, you are the expert, i said this, because the
/usr/share/debconf/confmodule script i use in mkvmlinuz and recomended by
debconf-devel says :

        # Redirect standard output to standard error. This prevents common
        # mistakes by making all the output of the postinst or whatever
        # script is using this library not be parsed as confmodule commands.
        #
        # To actually send something to standard output, send it to fd 3.

which i read that &1 goes to debconf and &3 to stdout normally. But then i am
largely out of my depth here, and would greatly greatly appreciate someone
with a real clue (you or joeyh being likely candidates here :) to have a look
at this issue. Mmm, need to go and read the rest of your mail really, ...

Friendly,

Sven Luther