Re: /run vs /var/run

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 05:09:02PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:

> 368K is an issue on a machine with 8M of RAM, it's an annoyance if you have
> 16M, beyond about 32M it stops being a problem.

Yeah, and a new optimization step only takes a few thenth of a second and
only a few extra KB of memory, so why not add it. And then everyone
complains that newer gcc versions are far slower than 2.95 was, and some
people can no more build complex applications due to the extra memory
requirements. It was just 0.1% bloat every time...

> Incidentally if 368K of memory is a problem for you then you should probably
> stop using Ext3.  Ext2 uses less RAM (and that's RAM for non-pagable data).

I hope you've already packed the UPS you're sending me. Once I receive
it, I'll gladly convert my ext3 filesystems to ext2. Until then please
do not compare apples to oranges.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences,
     Laboratory of Parallel and Distributed Systems
     Address   : H-1132 Budapest Victor Hugo u. 18-22. Hungary
     Phone/Fax : +36 1 329-78-64 (secretary)
     W3        : http://www.lpds.sztaki.hu