Re: /run vs /var/run (was: Please test new sysvinit)

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 09:23:05AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> Then IMHO Debian is NOT the appropriate system to run on that box. Get a non
> glibc-based one that also likes to pass -Os to gcc and compiles the kernel
> with -Os.

AFAIK -Os is not the upstream default for kernel builds only because it
still triggers compiler bugs sometimes. At least that was the conclusion
of the last such discussion on linux-kernel.

> All VM-based filesystems in the BSDs, Linux and Solaris swap out just fine,
> and they always have done so AFAIK.  In fact, other than the filesystems for
> on-chip disks (flash or eeproms), and stuff like procfs and sysfs that
> aren't really there anyway, I have never heard of non-swappable in-memory
> filesystems.

ramfs. It was there before tmpfs (and it's also the smallest and
simplest file system one can get on Linux).

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences