Re: /run vs /var/run

On Dec 18, Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> wrote:

> How strongly can I put this?  /dev/shm is for *shared memory*, not for
> random junk.  /dev/shm is for POSIX shared memory and semaphores
/dev/shm is a tmpfs which happens to be used by POSIX SHM. I have not
seen yet a good reason why it should not be used by other users too.

> created with sem_open() and shm_open().  We don't want random breakage
> because people put files in there.  /dev/shm is reserved.
Actually people have been putting files there for a while, even in
packages in a stable release. Can you point us to some examples of the
random breakage you suggest has happened?

> Where was it ever written down that any package could use /dev/shm?
> They can't.
Oops. They already do.

--
ciao,