Re: apt PARALLELISM

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 02:45:50AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>> On Dec 11, Charles Fry <debian@frogcircus.org> wrote:
>>
>> > But if multiple URLs could satisfactorily serve requests for a single
>> > repository, only one of them is currently used.
>> Which is fine, because we do not want people to open multiple
>> connections to the same server.
>
> True, but that's not what's being asked here. If multiple URLs could
> serve requests for a single repository---i.e., if you've got both
> deb http://ftp1.CC.debian.org/debian unstable main
> and
> deb http://ftp2.CC.debian.org/debian unstable main
> in your sources.list, then apt will download everything from
> ftp1.CC.debian.org (bar those files it gets an error on at that server;
> in that case, it will download them from the second server).
>
> Which is, indeed, silly.

Unless you have

file://mnt/mirror/debian unstable main
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main
http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main

where you certainly want to get all files locally and only fall back
to the web on errors and there also first use the german mirror and
only fall back to ftp.d.o on error.

If parallelism like this gets added then there has to be a way to
enable/disbale it specifically. It is not generaly a good thing.

MfG
        Goswin