Re: package name changes in atlas-cpp (was Re: library renaming due to changed libstdc++ configuration)

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 11:38:32AM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> Hi Ming, Steve, others,

> On Tuesday 29 November 2005 11:03, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > I noticed that atlas-cpp with renamed library packages has been
> > > uploaded, and it renames the binary packages as follows:
> > >     libatlas-cpp-0.6-0 => libatlas-cpp-0.6-0c2
> > >     libatlas-cpp-0.6-0-dbg => libatlas-cpp-0.6-0c2-dbg

> > > I have two questions for this:

> > > 1. Should -dbg packages be renamed or not?

> > I don't see any reason to rename the -dbg packages, generally.

> For the first cxx transition during Breezy development, I renamed
> libatlas-cpp-0.5 to libatlas-cpp-0.5c2 because this was our plan. Every
> package without c102 (from old ABI changes) will get c2 and the other library
> packages with a c102 suffix, the c102 will be removed.

> For Debian there was another decision, and it's in the responsibilty of the
> Debian package maintainer, if he wants to rename or not. (If I recall the
> mail correctly).

Absolutely not.  Renaming of library packages on ABI change is mandatory in
Debian, just as it was for Ubuntu.

Anyway, the fact that there was never a c102 version of libatlas-cpp-0.6 in
Debian or Ubuntu certainly cuts down on the chances of there being an
incompatible libatlas-cpp-0.6-0c2 package in the wild.  So it's not
*crucial* that this package be named -0.6-0c2a, but it would be nice to not
have gratuitous inter-distro incompatibilities when they can be avoided.