Re: texlive-basic_2005-1_i386.changes REJECTED

> On Son, 27 Nov 2005, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
>> Looking at the texlive packages in NEW I have some comments for you,

I can only support was Norbert has said here, no need to repeat it.

Maybe two more things:

The process of preparing Debian for having two TeX systems has very much
improved the Policy Draft that we are currently writing (available in
the tex-common package), and the packaging of teTeX (and texlive).  I am
sure that this is not a once-and-for-all-times process, but will
continue to help us with critically rethinking our packages - and thus
improve the quality of TeX in Debian.

Second, Norbert is a TeXlive developer and a Debian user.  He has become
a Debian maintainer (and applied for DD) because he and other TeXlive
developers and users wanted a simple way to install texlive in Debian,
replacing teTeX while keeping dependencies in order.  One should not
assume that he will put only half as much effort into making "teTeX more
modular", as you have suggested, as he has put into the creation of the
texlive Debian package.  Instead, he and his users would be better
served if he used the tex-common infrastructure that we have developed
together to provide apt-get'able texlive packages from the texlive
server.  And I am sure that this situation would be much harder to
handle, also for the teTeX maintainers and especially for maintainers of
TeX-add-on packages or fonts, than if texlive was in Debian.

>> allrunes       dfsg
>>
>> Please: Tell me its not true that the DFSG is used as a license there.
>
> As stated in the License file, this list was generated from the TeX
> Catalogue, which *can be wrong*! If you check the actual allrunes files,
> you see that it is LPPL.

Please also note that, although TeXLive's copyright file might still be
problematic, it is better than what teTeX has - see the bug #218105.
And I fear that only the combined effort of Debian people caring for
teTeX and for TeXLive will finally enable us to resolve this bug.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich