Re: dpkg-sig support wanted?

[Steinar H. Gunderson]
> All three might eventually be truly broken, but you can bet that MD5
> will be the first to go. If you use SHA-256 today instead of MD5, you
> probably buy yourself a few extra years, which you can use to smooth
> out the transition to the next hash function when the world advances.

You may laugh if you wish, but I think it's annoying to have to move to
a hash function whose hexadecimal representation takes 64 bytes, which
doesn't leave much room on an 80-column line to describe what the hash
is hashing.  Maybe by the time coreutils ships a sha256sum program, the
world will have settled upon BASE64, which requires only 43 bytes.