Re: possible freetype transition; improved library handling needed for all C/C++ packages

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 01:25:07AM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>

> > * Don't use other *-config tools.

> > While many libraries these days use pkg-config, there are also other
> > libs which ship their own tools for querying library and header include
> > paths, libs needed for linking, etc.  The problem is that all of these
> > tools I've seen are incapable of distinguishing between what's needed
> > for static linking, and what's needed for dynamic linking.

> Would you recommend against *shipping* such a script when upstream
> provides it (in addition to a .pc file)?

If upstream ships both a .pc file (either correct, or fixable as described)
and a -config script that does the wrong thing, then yeah, I would recommend
to not ship the -config script unless there is a compelling reason why you
need to keep it...