Re: [Help] How to fix a buggy prerm script in sarge?

Hi all,

it seems that just reading the policy again sometimes solves a problem...

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

> Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 12:25:01PM +0100, Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> was heard to say:
>>> we just received a bug report that is caused by a buggy prerm script
>>> in the package in sarge (it fails because it doesn't handle read-only
>>> /usr/local properly).  Is there any way to fix this, except documenting
>>> it in the release notes?
>>
>>   If your old prerm fails, the new prerm should be called with
>> "failed-upgrade" as its first argument (see Policy 6.4 and 6.5),
>> so you can do any necessary workarounds there.  Errors in postrm
>> are handled similarly.
>
> But what would be the "necessary workarounds"?  The offending lines are:
>
>   LOCALTEXMF=/usr/local/share/texmf
>   rm -f $LOCALTEXMF/ls-R
>   rmdir $LOCALTEXMF 2>/dev/null || true

I was under the impression that "new-prerm failed-upgrade" was called
only to clean up after the failing old prerm script.  But rereading 6.5,
I understand that the new prerm is called as a replacement for the
failed old prerm, and if it succeeds, the upgrade can proceed without
problems.  Am I right?

TIA, Frank
--
Frank Küster