Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 00:53, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 02:50:01PM -0800, Alex Ross wrote:
> > Here's the 2nd part of the answer:
> >
> > support@nexenta.com wrote:
> > > The question is, are you going to pursue a legal action against Sun
> > > Microsystems?
>
> To which my answer was "yes". I'm not sure how that's supposed to excuse
> you in any way.

Could you please elaborate why your answer was "yes" ? Having done that with
Companion CD [1] (which is full of mostly GPL software linked against Sun's
libc) for Solaris 8/9/10 Sun Microsystems, Inc is perfectly ok (except they
calling it wrongly freeware [2]) because of GPL permits that [3][4]. That is
not the problem (that's GPL being smart here), the problem is that I doubt
CDDL 1.0 can satisfy Debian free software principles and rules, thus I doubt
gnusolaris can be part of the Debian project, except if the copyright holders
re-think the license of  its the codebase and relicensed it as well.

[1] http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/freeware/
[2] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#freeware
[3] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs
[4] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#FSWithNFLibs
[5] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatIsCompatible

P.S. I'd like to apologize being too impatient and replying to previous
messages on that thread which have been already replied but missed by myself.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB