Re: Shall Debian's su conform to other implementations

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 11:14:39PM +0100, Nicolas Fran?ois wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In #276419, the bug submitter complained that when a command and some
> arguments were passed to su, all these arguments were concatenated, and
> provided to the shell -c option.
>
> This behavior differs from su on other systems [0].
> This also forbid to pass arguments to the shell [1].
>
> As these behaviors where not documented in the man page, in the code or in
> the changelog, we uploded 4.0.3-36 to fix this bug.
>
> Unfortunately, this broke pbuilder (see #317264), and other Debian
> packages (e.g. dchroot). So this patch was (at least temporarily) removed,
> and the current behavior documented.

Whatever you choose to do, you need to take care of partial upgrade.
Given than login is an essential package, the only sane way is to change
all package in Debian to use a syntax that work with both old and new su,
wait for the release, and then upload new su.

e.g. you cannot fix Sarge pbuilder anyway, so etch su must work with sarge
pbuilder.  That why it would have been better to announce the change before
Sarge release.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>