Re: real-i386 (was Re: i386 requalification for etch)

Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> Up until the change in GCC which effectively
> changed Debian compatibility to 486 processors and above, Debian
> supported the 386 processor. There was a lot of talking on the lists
> at the time and it was agreed that this was a bad situation and also
> that we shouldn't rename.

> GCC has changed again: full support for the Intel 386 is now possible
> again but at the cost of some work.  I still have three machines (two
> laptops and a very old desktop) that have genuine Intel 386 inside -
> but they are old. Some of the VIA chips don't play well with 586/686
> optimisations (including potentially all the C3 derivatives)
[...]

I am a little bit confused. Does Via/C3 need strict 386-instructions
or does it play nicely with the current status, i.e. 486 instruction
set?
                  cu andreas
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute