Are pure virtual Depends/Recommends entries bugs?

  As I'm sure everyone knows, pure virtual entries in a Depends line are
strongly deprecated, due to the fact that frontends have a tendency to pick
a random provider of the package.  What I'm not sure is if this is just "ugly"
or actually considered a bug.  In particular, I can't remember and would like
to know:

  (a) Is a pure virtual entry with no prior alternative in a Depends line an
      actual bug?  i.e., do we have a consensus on this?

  (b) If the answer to (a) is "yes", is a pure virtual *Recommendation* a bug?

      Rationale: Recommendations are intended to be installed by default, so
      their fields should be just as friendly to automatic tools as Depends is.

  Daniel