Re: Dependencies of -dev packages

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 07:15:29PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> Then I guess it's either not used properly most of the time,
> or hard they make it hard to use it properly.

That's right. Requres.private: is supported only since pkg-config-0.18,
and there are not many packages making use of it yet. I think the wast
majority of nowaday's Requires: should be turned to Requires.private:.

This might be a good target for a BSP (very easy to fix, low chance to
break anything).

> > (for example, by directly referencing
> > symbols from libb in a's header files). In this case, you _do_ need to
> > link with libb explicitely, shared library dependencies won't help you.
>
> The liba is not designed properly, it's shouldn't expose that
> it's using libb.
>
> > Extreme example: it is possible that public headers from "a" reference
> > symbols from "b", but liba itself does not use any symbols from libb,
> > therefore it does not depend (in the DT_NEEDED sense) on libb at all.
>
> Which is completly broken.

Those statements I can agree with, but there are a lot of broken
software out there.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences