Re: Finding out in postinst whether some other package is configured

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> Also how would a package inset such a Post-Invoke line into the
> conffig? Modifying the conffile would be a policy violation.

The package that provides the hook to run provides the config entry; the
packages that need to run the hook touch a file in /var/<whatever> or
append a line to such a file.

>> The big problem with that is that if such a command ever fails, how does
>> the package system know which package caused the error?  It could be the
>> one that first registered the call, but also an other package that would
>> have added it to the journal if it hadn't been there yet.
>
> Probably all of them instead of just one.
>
> I don't see this as a big problem. Currently if one of the packages
> adds broken files causing the update script to fail on average half
> the packages will be broken (everything after the broken one).
>
> So having them all set to failed is just twice as bad from a statistic
> point of view and doesn't create any extra work.

You forget the extra work of the user (and the admin of the wrongly
blamed package) to find out which package is responsible.  With the
current setup, you just need to look at dpkg's output and check which
package was first to fail.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster