Re: Finding out in postinst whether some other package is configured

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

> also sprach Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> [2005.10.11.1928 +0200]:
>> is there an established way to find out in the postinst script of a
>> package whether an other package (e.g. one which we Recommend or
>> Suggest) is configured?  Testing for file contents can only tell whether
>> it is unpacked, but that might not be enough.
> Assuming it provides a conffile, can you check for $FILE.dpkg-new ?

But this file will stay there if the user chooses to keep their changed
version.  So I would have to check for $FILE, too.  But then I can't
discriminate between "was removed but not purged, now it is unpacked but
unconfigured" and "is configured but the user chose to keep the old
changed conffile", can I?

Regards, Frank
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich